Monday, August 30, 2010

Magic pins...

Clothing is starting to really irritate me.

I mean…I absolutely LOVE shopping and buying new clothes. But it is starting to really bug me that I grow out of the stuff I buy so quickly….usually about 3-4 weeks. Thank god I wear scrubs to work or I would be legitimately insane by now.

It has gotten to the point that it really doesn't matter too much to me what I wear...except for one thing. About a year ago, I had to buy a bridesmaid’s dress for my sister’s wedding. (which is currently 2 weeks from now!) I had just started the process of getting approved for my surgery when we had to buy them and I didn’t know what size I would be. So I guessed. And since the dress was on sale, I knew I couldn’t buy another one. So I bought not one, but two dresses…just to be sure.

I figured if I wasn’t approved for surgery, I would still drop a few pounds on my own and drop at least one size. So I bought one dress in a size 22. I then figured if I did have surgery, I would lose at least 50 pounds, so I bought another one in size 18.

Right now I am a size 12. Shit.

I’ve looked on the website, called the store, and even checked e-bay to see if I could find a correct sized dress…no luck. So I figured I needed to find a seamstress…an EXCELLENT seamstress. Fast.

Well, god bless faceboook! I throw out a desperate cry for help and I am blessed to be connected with Mary Reese…seamstress extraordinaire. When I called her to make an appointment at "Hilary's Bridal" in Plymouth, MA, where she works, I was so nervous and most likely talking a mile a minute. When I finally stop babbling about my post surgery dress-size-woes, there was a brief moment of silence. I held my breath and she said to me words that almost brought tears to my eyes.

“Don’t worry. I have magic pins.”

Awesome.

I had my fitting a few days ago and pick up my finished dress next week. Mary was just the sweetest thing ever and skilled to boot! Before I knew it, she had me pinned up tight and the dress fit perfectly. And beyond that, it looks utterly fantastic.

I friggin’ love magic pins.

So here I am with Mary, magic pins and all. I can hardly wait to see the finished dress! And I can’t thank her enough for hooking me up with her magic pins!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I've been following your blog for a few months now, my cousin Mary brought it to my attention. I am in the process of having bariatric surgery, probably lapband in December or January, and you have provided me with a lot of good information...thank you! Imagine my surprise today when I read about your dress for the wedding and see my cousin Mary there beside you! Such a small world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your success!!! I have known Mary Reese for years and she is AMAZING!!! She is magic, not the pins, despite what she tells you ;) And you will look amazing thanks to all your hard work and Mary's extraordinary skills!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. kristen, you look ravishing. i'm so happy you found someone to work some magic on this dress; the color looks incredible on you!

    xo

    ReplyDelete