Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Trippin'...

I just got back from a whirlwind hiatus to southern New Jersey and NYC. I had a great time visiting some friends who I haven’t seen in a year or so. They were oh-so-excited to see the new me! And I was just as excited to show them my new look!

I’m no stranger to long car rides alone. Although quite boring, I used to get through my trips by promising myself different fast food stops along the way. McMuffin at 10:00….Pizza at 12:00...Whopper at 3:00. (once I even ordered a LARGE pizza on my way home and ate it…piece by piece, until I made it home. OMG...so embarrassing...) It was a glorious system, tempting myself with food to make it from state to state. But unfortunately, it is no longer an option. You can imagine, I was horribly afraid of my impending 6 hour car ride.

What did I do, you ask? Well, the money I would have spent on all that food, I spent on some new iTunes. I also invested in a little cooler and packed my own food to keep me satisfied for the trip. (1/2 a pita with tomato/turkey/cheese lasted me the whole ride…delish!) I also packed water and a few pieces of fruit, just in case, but I didn’t even need them. It was fantastic! Basically I car-danced my whole way down there. I feel so sorry for the people who were frightened by the sight of a single woman driving by herself…possibly having a seizure…while singing full blast to La Roux’s “Bulletproof.” Awesome.


My first stop was in NJ where I saw my 2-year-old godson, whom I love to the end of the earth. Last time I saw him, he was toddling around, barely walking on his own. You may rememebr him from one of my "before" pictures. Now this child constantly runs. Everywhere. Thank the lord that I am 70lbs lighter now or I could have NEVER kept up with him! Chasing him also removed all guilt about being gym-free for 6 days!


This is a picture of us looking at the giraffes at the cape may zoo. Even though this is a weird angle, I had to post it. (This was mainly because I was holding up this child with my knee...I swear my gut doesn't look like that when I stand up straight!)

I cannot even discuss how happy I was to be wearing a sundress that day...and to not have experienced what I call "fat-girl-thigh-burn." If you don't know what it is, be thankful. I will define it as a "chafing" of the thighs when they are constantly rubbing together...especially while wearing a dress or skirt. (I think this is why the skirt with shorts inside, or "skort" as it is called, was invented) It is the most painful thing ever...and kept me away from cute skirts and dresses for a VERY long time.


My friend, Ang, was (per usual) a doll! She was so nervous about what to feed me that she actually waited until I got there to go to the supermarket and stock up the fridge. (Although, she was ready and waiting with some crystal light peach iced tea when I pulled into the driveway...yummmm!) I find a lot of my friends feel this way, but I have found that generally, no matter where I go, I can always find something to eat. And sometimes I even find new favorite things. Like Rita’s (sugar free) water ice…mango peach…it was HEAVEN in a cup!!! Omygosh...we NEED one of these in Boston ASAP!

On my way back towards Boston, I also made a stop in Brooklyn to see my college friends, Cara and Andrea, and have a little catching up over some delicious brunch. It was fantastic. Walking around the city really makes me feel the difference in my body now. Another thing I noticed…I’m not a sweat covered monster when I’m outside in the summer and walking around! I love it! (as does anyone within whiffing distance, I’m sure) I really wanted to include a picture of us, but my camera battery had died by this point. Bummer. We looked just fabulous, though...I promise!

It was a long trip, but It was good to get away for the first time since my surgery and really enjoy myself. The best part? After eating out for a solid 4 days, and not going to the gym, I still came home and was down 4 lbs on the scale!!! That’s 74lbs gone, ladies and gentlemen. I couldn’t believe it! Here are some better pictures of me (and my kitty, Gabriel) after my 7.5 hours of driving!



I'm really feeling that I’m getting back to “normal” and I’m not freaking out all the time about what to eat. I am finally getting used to my new life and I’m just loving it!

2 comments:

  1. Kristen you look amazing and I can tell you feel amazing !! Can't wait to see you

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few comments....1-you said the reason why I don't like waring skirts or dresses, 2-that is the only picture I have seen of Ang pregnant, even though it doesn't look like it, 3-you are looking good!!! Like I have told you before, I sware that is how you have always looked to me. :)

    ReplyDelete