Wednesday, June 23, 2010

My own little support group...

I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this before, but I’m not the only one in my family that had this surgery.

We weren’t planning it this way, but me, my aunt, and my cousin all had the surgery all within 6 months of each other. Strange, but true. My aunt had her gastric bi-pass in October and my cousin had his just 2 weeks before I did in February. Even though we all had things done around the same time, we never really talked together about anything. And I don’t really know why.

Well, last weekend I was at their house for a party and I got to see them for the first time. (and I got to wear those new jeans I was talking about in my last post…they looked phenomenal!) Both of them looked so good, but beyond that we got to sit down and talk. Really talk. And it was awesome.

We talked about food. What they eat, what I eat, what we wish we could eat. Then we talked about the actual surgery…complications or the lack there of. And we also discussed the mental part of the surgery and how we all felt great and would do it again in a heartbeat.

It was all great, but most importantly to me, we talked about how we dealt with the fact that some of our family members had trouble with or can’t accept the fact that we had surgery. It’s something that is a huge issue for me and something I choose to keep off this blog. Regardless, it was so comforting to know that they had this problem too and to get some pointers on how they dealt with it. The whole thing was like a little support group. I felt so good afterwards.

From now on, I hope we can stay closer in touch. Pointers, support, and yummy food? I mean…you can’t go wrong with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment