Saturday, June 5, 2010

Becoming a bathing beauty...

So…a few weeks ago I went to the beach with some friends. And, although I am usually very good about putting on my 30 SPF, I made a slight error of judgment. I fell asleep in the sun.


Yes, it was a poor and extremely painful mistake that I won’t be making again, but it also left me with the wonkiest tan line ever. The tankini I was wearing had a halter top, which I figured I would untie when I was sunbathing. And, I still had my shorts on because I hated the way my bottom looked in the bathing suit I found in the back of my closet. All making for some awesome tan lines. I hoped I could pull it off this season, but no…definitely not.

So, yesterday, I confronted a fear every woman (who doesn’t look like Beyoce) goes though. And it’s something I haven’t done in years.

Yesterday, I went bathing suit shopping.

Finding a bathing suit that is flattering but also stylish, for someone as overweight as I was, is like finding a winning lottery ticket on the ground. Miracles like that just don’t happen. I have had my fair share of what I like to refer to as “granny suits.” Big awkward boob cups, horrifying floral prints, weird fluttering skirts. (::shudder::) I always did the best I could but, nothing looked good on me. Ever.

Yesterday was different. It was thrilling actually. I tried on a few different styles and everything looked pretty decent, but nothing jumped out as fantastic. It was hard for me to choose because I constantly see the loose skin everywhere... especially on my thighs and gut. I was hiding in the dressing room when the sales person, Pat, (who I had bonded with over buying new bras…more to come on my shrinking boobs later) brought me in this black bathing suit.

It was a one piece, which turned me off immediately. But she handed me the bottom of a tankini and had me put it on over it. “This will look good…I swear” she says. Ok, crazy sales person. Sure thing. But when I came out of the dressing room and saw my mother’s face…I knew. Bingo. I found a bathing suit that that not only didn’t look bad. It actually looked good.

Really good.

So here it is. I could have bought a nice coach bag with the money I spent on it, but I figure…hey…how often does anyone find a bathing suit that makes them look (and feel) this fantastic?!?! Right?

4 comments:

  1. Reading your blog for the first time, and have breezed through weeks of your writing. love it. You look great in that suit. worth every penny! amazing story.

    ReplyDelete