Thursday, April 28, 2011

Making goals...

In the essay I had to write to be accepted into the gastric bypass center, they asked you why you wanted to have this surgery.  There were a lot of really good things I could have written to answer this simple question.  Improving my heath…looking better…becoming more active.  Instead, I just wrote the first thing that popped into my head. 

I wanted to fit into the seats at Fenway.

Despite my outward “girly girl” appearance, I enjoy watching (NOT playing) sports.  I was brought up watching lots of games with my dad and now that I’m older, going to games has become one of my favorite things to do….when I can afford it. 

But, even though I enjoyed it, I can remember the anxiety that I felt about one simple thing. 

The seats.
 
The constant wondering if my butt was going fit in and not bust out of the sides of the seat was just horrible.   Even when I could squeeze my ginormous behind in there, I was extremely uncomfortable and the anxiety about it could almost ruin my whole time.  

Well, a few weeks ago, Chris took me to a Bruins hockey game at the Bank North Garden in Boston.  It was the first time I had been to a sporting event since my surgery and I was really excited.

We had a quick pizza dinner before we went in.  This was naughty, I know, but I only ate a piece and a half of pizza and was SO full…(instead of the whole pie I used to be able to eat!) 

When we went inside and sat down, I was surprised by how comfortable I was….There was space on both sides of my butt and I could even cross my legs.  It was the first time I had a “gastric bypass moment” in a REALLY long time and it really made me smile. 

Even though it rained and I looked like a wet dog that night, I thoroughly enjoyed myself.  It was fun to see the game…but it was just as fun to know I made some of my own "goals" that night, as well!  




3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That is such a great milestone. I applaud you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had surgery in March - I thought the weight would simply fall off of me, it hasn't, but I am now, after 8 weeks, feeling a little bit normal finally.
    Anyway, the last time I went to a Red Sox game I had bruises on my hips for weeks afterward - I know the feeling you describe about sitting in the seats. I hope this summer I may have a "moment" if I get to Fenway again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the sexiest wet dog I've ever laid eyes on! '
    You rock Kristen! Thank you for continuing your blogs, you have inspired so many and entertained us as well with your wit and humor.

    ReplyDelete